Surviving the airport

Also known as "how long is my layover?!"

As you prepare to travel internationally you will soon realize that there is no such thing as a direct flight from Des Moines to your destination.  When I applied to study in Hong Kong I had no idea that the city I'd end up fixating on in my travels was Los Angeles (LA).  I can only shake my head in amazed disbelief at the fact that I have had two twenty-plus hour layovers in LA.  Layovers, security, and the airplane rides themselves are all things that lie between you and your destination.  Below are some lessons and observations I have gleaned from my travels that will hopefully help you get through the different ordeals and survive the airport.



Packing your carry-on

The sad truth is that regardless of how well thought out and carefully packed your suitcase is, the very first thing you do once beginning your journey is to say goodbye to your suitcase at the check-in counter.  From there on out you must rely on your carry-ons to get you to your destination.  In addition to the basics (passport, phone, wallet, medications, power cords) I strongly recommend the following to any person considering a long trip:
    1) Motion sickness bands.  These bands are wonderful.  I have used them since I was a child to counter both car sickness and air sickness.  They are an easy alternative, or addition, to anti-motion sickness medicines.

    Example from Amazon
    2) Neck pillow.  There are many different neck support options but as someone who has had neck surgery and continues to have neck problems, I have had issues finding an adequate option.  Before this trip I found a new option that has worked wonderfully.  This pillow is easy to carry as you just wrap it around one of your bag's straps and it is supportive while still being soft.

    *** Long flights can be uncomfortable for everyone and can aggravate special health issues, making it important to plan ahead and bring things that will help you survive your airport experience.  Keeping track of when to take meds as you go through different time zones can be particularly tricky and needs careful scheduling. ***


    I carry this in my purse everyday while away from home.
    3) Battery pack.  Before leaving home, my sister gave me a large battery pack that I had initially questioned due to its size was but it is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.  This wonderful little device can charge my phone for days.  Can't find a plug-in or don't want to haul a charger (and often international adapter) around?  Going on a day trip or outing?  Had a long day and just don't want to get out of bed again?  Problem solved.   The last thing you want is to have your phone die as you are navigating your way through a different country.




    4) Coffee thermos. While not originally what I had intended, I ended up using this thermos as a water bottle.  When traveling it is easy to get dehydrated and buying drinks at the airport is expensive.  My metal thermos is durable and withstands the stress of traveling, and once I arrive and begin my classes I can use it as
    a much needed caffeine container.

    So much happiness. 
    5) Slippers.  By happy accident, after packing all of my medicine and electronics in my backpack, I still had some room and amongst the random things that ended up stuffed into the remaining space were my slippers.  This meant that thirty hours into my trip, with another thirty hours to go (see above regarding twenty hour layovers in LA), I was able to take off my hiking boots.  Sometimes it's the little things that bring the most joy.

    *** I wear the bulkiest pair of shoes I travel with so that I can get more stuff into my suitcase. ***



    Travel with a smile

    The most important part of traveling is getting there - once you enter the airport you will eventually get to your destination even if there are some delays and annoyances.  While traveling there are many things outside of your control and while this can be frustrating at times, getting angry will not improve the situation.  In general, it is easier to remember negative events and let positive ones fade into the background.  Realizing this, I make an effort to remember and bring attention to moments of joy and contentment.  To do this I use Happy Notes.

    Happy Notes
    Happy Notes: On one side I record the date and on the other side I record what happened that made me smile.  This can vary from personal achievements, laughing with friends, or reveling in wonderful weather.  On New Years Day I read through the past year's collection as a way of starting the next year on a positive note.

    For example, my first flight on this journey left at 6:00 AM.  I was at security before 4:00 AM. On my way to my gate that morning I wandered upon a small piece of heaven.  It was in the form of a shop called Muffin Break where I was able to purchase muffins that, due to the early hour, had just come out of the oven.  It was a good start to what I knew would be a very long trip and resulted in a happy note.


    I plan on enjoying my study abroad experience and getting there is part of this experience.  This is my first time traveling alone across international borders and as I have gone through many different airports, I have made a lot of mistakes.  I sat down in the wrong seat on one flight.  I went through the wrong line after customs.  In an airport that used a subway to connect the domestic and international terminals, I ended up on the wrong side of the tracks.  When unsure about something I asked those around me for help.  I admittedly phoned home at one point and went "Dad, how do airports work?  Here's the situation, any advice?"  I was faced with problems and found solutions rather than panicking or getting angry at the airport staff, who I figure were likely just as tired as I was.

    When navigating through the various obstacles airports present, my mind kept returning to the reason why I decided to study abroad: I want to learn.  I want to learn about life in a different culture, about how it feels to be a minority, about how it feels to live so far from home, about what skills I need to live alone and how to thrive despite facing never before experienced situations.  And yes, this includes learning how to navigate airports.  Making mistakes is a part of learning and so I do not begrudge myself these mistakes.  By choosing this attitude and mindset I managed to get through my travels relatively unscathed - exhausted, but ready to enjoy my study abroad experience. 


    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Amazing

    Mistakes to expect when learning about a place