Extracurricular activites

Universities are undeniably about classes, but there are other forms of learning available as well.  I decided to leave my comfort zone behind when I boarded a plane and left the country for six months; now that I am here, I don't want to spend all of my time in my room studying.  Beyond exploring my host city, I am also exploring the opportunities available at my host university.  These opportunities have included guest lecturers, workshops, art classes, and musical performances.

I have gone to lectures ranging from violent political issues in southeast Asia to environmental crises in the polar regions as well as in Hong Kong to the analysis of the impact of Confucian ideas in the founding of the United States.  I have enrolled in a Chinese calligraphy course that meets every Tuesday evening and in an online month long course exploring the changing arctic due to climate change.  Deciding to try something I have never taken advantage of at ISU I chose to attend personal growth workshops about developing resilience and building your own personal brand.  As the City University's Arts Festival has kicked off I have attended a Russian Opera show and a jazz concert where I witnessed for the first time a zither in action and a professional harmonica player. 

My classes have been very interesting, but universities host many different types of learning and supplementing my classes with a variety of other activities has made my time at CityU more enjoyable. 


Eagerly awaiting the  Russian musical concert

My first calligraphy lesson


A topic that I had never thought about before but proved to be very interesting

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing

Surviving the airport

Mistakes to expect when learning about a place