Banking 101

 I had to pay a bill to my host University.  My payment options?
  1.  Through x Chinese banks -> nope
  2.  Through direct deposit online -> can't do this option either
  3.  Payment transfer through PPS -> I have no idea what this is
  4.  Payment online through Chinese credit card -> once again, no
  5.  Cash payment at bank on campus -> we have a winner!
And thus during a break in my schedule I arrived at the bank and joined the queue.  Wow, did I underestimate this process and the time commitment needed.  The queue was long and moved slowly, except for the people who buzzed past the line and were in and out in 5 minutes.  Apparently, banks can have different levels of status for patrons that confer various benefits, such as skipping the line.

In order: regular, preferred banking, and prestige

It took 45 minutes to reach the counter in the "regular" line.  I presented the information regarding the payment and my debit card to the clerk and found out, to my surprise, that the counter had no way of accepting any form of credit card and I could not withdraw money there either.  The measly $20HKD I had in my wallet did not cover the bill so I walked back to the other side of the room, withdrew money, and got in line once again.

An unfortunately familiar sight

Gladly the line moved faster this time and it only took 20 minutes for me to arrive at the desk and hand the teller the right amount of money in cash (an apparently important phrase included in payment options that I had overlooked).

The long-awaited destination

Tips for future students to avoid doing what I did:
  1. Make bank trips as painless as possible - have all the necessary things (documents and exact money) ready to hand over.  Do not presume that banks will offer money at the counter.  ATMs are your friend. 
Nice and simple, really, but not something I had thought about prior to the situation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing

Surviving the airport

Mistakes to expect when learning about a place